African Philanthropy Forum
African Philanthropy Forum is a strong and vibrant community of partners who through their strategic giving, investments, and influence, foster shared prosperity on the African continent. We are committed to transforming the culture of giving in Africa to the extent that it exceeds development aid by 2030.
Africa’s significant growth in recent times has led to the emergence of a growing number of High-Net-Worth Individuals (HNWIs) on the Continent. Statista Stated that as of 2021, the number of High Networth Individuals (HNWIs) increased by nearly 9% compared to the previous year and total private wealth in Africa amounted to 2.1trillion US dollars in 2021 also slightly higher than 2020. HNWIs in Africa are estimated to be 145,000 and Africans in the diaspora gave approximately 42 billion USD in 2019. These HNWIs recognize the need to engage in more systematic and strategic philanthropy, but struggle with how to advance their personal and corporate interests in this area. As a result, Africa’s potential philanthropic capital, which is valued at $100 billion, remains largely untapped, leaving African social innovators dependent on international funders instead of partnering with local philanthropists to address the root causes of many of the problems in our society. For more information, please visit our website – https://africanpf.org.
In 2021, APF worked alongside Bridgespan to develop a research study to better understand the nuances within the African philanthropic ecosystem, surface the barriers facing African NGOs as they seek funding from both African and non-African funders, and share workable solutions that exist to unlock more funding for African NGOs. A previous report by Bridgespan showed that over the past decade, African donors gave 9% of large gifts and non-African donors 14% percent, to NGOs in Africa with the rest going to International NGOs (INGOs) and government. This leaves local NGOs competing with INGOs which tend to be larger, better resourced, and better connected to funding networks, particularly in the Global North. African leaders have long put forward arguments about why those disparities undercut the impact that donors strive for like access to funding, low trust for African NGO’s, visibility, and lack of due diligence. The joint research between APF and Bridgespan amplifies their voices and brings new data and perspectives to bear. The joint research work birthed StartPoint, a platform launched by APF in May 2022 to address the trust deficit between funders and local organizations doing good and create a space for connection for them. More specifically, StartPoint is a directory of credible African organizations that are locally led with a track record of success in communities across Africa. Through the platform, NGOs will be able to tell their impact stories and showcase their work over the years, gain visibility and access to local and international funders, access information on available funding opportunities and connect with like-minded NGOs across Africa. StartPoint is a Product of African Philanthropy Forum. For more information, visit https://startpointafrica.org.
Request for Proposal (RFP) for Software Management and Upgrading Services for StartPoint
We are seeking proposals from registered and qualified software development companies to provide software management and upgrading services for our web application product, “StartPoint”. Our aim is to onboard a reliable and experienced company that can ensure the smooth operation, maintenance, and timely upgrading of the platform as required.
The selected software development company will be responsible for the following key aspects:
- Regular Monitoring: Perform routine monitoring and health checks to ensure the web application’s stability, security, and performance.
- Bug Fixing: Address and resolve any reported bugs and issues promptly to maintain a seamless user experience.
- Backup and Recovery: Implement robust backup and recovery procedures to safeguard data and ensure business continuity.
- Security Updates: Stay up to date with the latest security threats and apply necessary updates to protect against vulnerabilities.
- Performance Optimization: Identify opportunities for performance improvement and implement necessary optimizations.
- Technology Stack Evaluation: Conduct an assessment of the current technology stack and recommend suitable upgrades to enhance functionality and performance.
- Platform Updates: Manage the process of upgrading the web application platform, including core software and third-party components, to the latest stable versions.
- Data Migration: Plan and execute smooth data migration, ensuring data integrity during the upgrade process.
- Compatibility Testing: Conduct thorough testing after upgrades to ensure the application remains compatible with major web browsers and devices.
The proposed software development company should meet the following technical requirements:
- Registration and Credentials: Provide proof of registration with the relevant authority and any relevant certifications.
- Experience: Demonstrate a proven track record in managing and upgrading web applications, preferably in similar industries.
- Team Expertise: Present a qualified and experienced team capable of delivering professional software development services.
- Communication: Exhibit effective communication and collaboration skills to interact with our internal team and stakeholders.
- Security Measures: Outline the security measures the company follows to safeguard our data and ensure data privacy.
Interested software development companies are requested to submit their comprehensive proposals, which should include the following components:
- Company Profile: Provide an overview of your company, highlighting relevant experience, credentials, and team structure.
- Project Approach: Describe your proposed approach to managing and upgrading the “StartPoint” web application.
- Technical Expertise: Showcase your technical expertise in handling web application management and upgrading projects.
- Timeline: Present a detailed timeline for software activities and upgrading processes.
- Cost Estimate: Provide a transparent and itemized cost estimate for the proposed services.
- Client References: Offer at least three client references from previous web application management and upgrading projects.
Please submit your RFP response to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm WAT, September 9, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered.
- Years of experience
- Relevance of past projects
- Understanding of the project
- Excellent communication skills
- Availability of team
The evaluation and selection process will involve the following steps:
- Proposal Evaluation: We will review all received proposals based on the outlined criteria.
- Shortlisting: Only shortlisted companies will be invited for further discussions or presentations.
- Final Selection: The final vendor selection will be based on the overall quality of the proposal, experience, cost, and fit with our requirements.
All information provided in response to this RFP will be treated as confidential and used solely for evaluation purposes.
Queries and Clarifications:
Any questions or requests for clarifications should be directed to email@example.com no later than September 7. We will provide clarifications to all vendors in a fair and transparent manner.
We look forward to receiving your proposal and partnering with a reputable software development company to maintain and upgrade our “StartPoint” web application effectively.
African Philanthropy Forum